Vaadin upgrade from 7.4.5 to 7.6.1

I was recently tasked with upgrading our Vaadin applications at work from version 7.4.5 to version 7.6.1. I came across an issue that took me a long time to figure out, so I thought I’d share in case anyone else is running into the same.

The process went pretty smoothly at first. We use Ivy for our projects, and simply updating the Vaadin version in ivy.xml allowed all the new library files to be downloaded. Then I re-compiled the widgetset, and took one of our applications out for a spin.

Lo and behold I got an error stating: “Failed to load the bootstrap javascript: ./VAADIN/vaadinBootstrap.js?v=7.6.1”. I did some investigating, and noticed that the vaadinBootstrap.js served to the browser looked like a binary file, whereas the browser was trying to interpret it as a JavaScript file.

I eventually realized that the vaadinBootstrap.js is compressed. I did everything I could to verify that the compression filters were correct, but the browser for some reason seemed like it was not uncompressing vaadinBootstrap.js before trying to interpret it.

Turns out that in prior versions of Vaadin, with the Vaadin demo applications, Vaadin had stuck in a CompressionFilter using net.sf.ehcache.constructs.web.filter.GzipFilter to web.xml. It compressed all *.js, *.html, *.css files (which only works if the browser/client announces it supports it in the HTTP headers) before serving it. HOWEVER, in the new version of Vaadin (7.6.1) it seems that there are some new compression filters already built in! Hence, the content (in this case vaadinBootstrap.js) was compressed twice! So the browser would uncompress it as it should, but that would yield a second compressed file! Sheesh. Had almost pulled my hair out before I figured this out.

The solution was to get rid of all the custom compression filters using net.sf.ehcache.constructs.web.filter.GzipFilter from our web.xml. And then everything started working smoothly.

One thought on “Vaadin upgrade from 7.4.5 to 7.6.1”

  1. Thank you so much for posting this! We faced the same problem but your solution would not work for us because we did not have additional filters configured in our web.xml. I was really scratching my head over this for a couple of hours. Since we are using vaadin portlets in our liferay environment I tracked down the problem to a missing property in our file: speed-filters-enabled=false

    Thanks again, you really saved my day here 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *